S-2416: 24x16 Stage Unit
A new standard in digital stage units.
The Roland S-2416 digital snake stage unit expands the line-up by offering a 24 input x 16 output analog and 8 input x 8 output digital, for a total of 32 input and 24 output channels. In addition to the analog and digital I/O the S-2416 has two REAC ports enabling the ability to cascade an additional snake for expanded I/O or for a fully redundant, zero-loss audio back-up solution. In addition, the discrete mic preamps are newly developed high-grade ensuring highest-quality uncolored sound.
- 24 input x 16 output analog + 8 input x 8 output digital (AES/EBU) = 32 input x 24 output
- 2 REAC ports to either cascade additional snake or for redundant connection
- Newly developed high-grade mic preamps
- 4U adjustable front or rear rack-mount design
- Supports 24-bit 96kHz, 48kHz, or 44.1 kHz sample rates
- Word clock in & out
- Remote control via any V-Mixer console, R-1000, S-4000R dedicated remote unit, and S-4000 RCS via USB (Windows/Mac)
24 inputs and 16 outputs in a 4U rack size
The chassis houses 24 analog inputs and 16 analog outputs in an EIA rack-mount size of 4U. All input sections are equipped with discrete mic preamps that have been freshly designed to be transparent with uncolored sound. What's more, each XLR jack features three-colored lights that clearly communicate the status of phantom power, clipping, and signal presence. The use of Neutrik connectors assures ruggedness for demanding environments.
AES/EBU ports provide a digital input/output environment
The rear panel provides AES/EBU connectivity (25-pin D-sub type) for 8 channels of input and output, enabling connection to speaker processors, amps, and other devices capable of AES/EBU input and/or output. Input via AES is assigned to channels 25 through 32 and output is selectable by a mode switch. When combined with analog input and output, the S-2416 can achieve up to 32 inputs and 24 outputs.
*When using AES/EBU input/output, external syncing to a master clock is required.
Use third-party AES/EBU breakout cables to make connections.
Two REAC connectors, enabling support for redundant transmission
With two REAC connectors – a main and a backup – a redundant REAC network is possible. If a problem occurs with the main line, operation instantly switches to the backup with no break up or click/pop in sound. What's more, use of Neutrik Ethercon connectors assures both a reliability and ruggedness for any type of environment.
Easily expand I/O with a cascade connection
The S-2416 is the first Digital Snake capable of a cascade connection. Switching the device to Cascade mode and connecting another Digital Snake makes it possible to expand inputs and outputs up to 40x40 channels. Any of four patterns can be selected for the number of channels output to the additional Digital Snake with a cascade connection: 40 (1 - 40 ch), 32 (9 - 40 ch), 24 (17 - 40 ch), and 16 (25 - 40 ch).
High sampling rate of 96 kHz and word-clock input/output
The S-2416 supports a high bit rate of 24 bits and a high sampling rate of 96 kHz. A mode switch enables selection of 96 kHz, 48 kHz, or 44.1 kHz, when the S-2416 is switched to Clock master mode. The unit is also equipped with word-clock input and output connectors (BNC) for supplying a master clock signal when using the AES/EBU connection.
DIP switches for easily adjusting the configuration
MUTE ALL OUTPUTS button for silencing all output
The S-2416 is equipped with a MUTE ALL OUTPUTS button to temporarily silence all outputs - a handy feature when changing cable connections.
Mode control via REAC, USB, or RS-232C
Mic preamps can be controlled using any V-Mixer, R-1000, an S-4000R unit connected by RS-232C, or by using the S-4000 RCS remote-control software on a computer (Mac or Windows) connected via USB.
*S-4000RCS can be downloaded from www.rolandsystemsgroup.com.
Front/back adjustable rack mounting for greater freedom in installation
Rack-mount angle brackets can be attached not only at the front panel, but also at the rear. This makes it possible to mount the S-2416 with either front or rear orientation as needed.
- Main Specifications
- Number of Channels
- 32 in 24 out
- AD Conversion
- Sample Rate: 96.0 kHz, 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz
Signal Processing: 24 bits
- DA Conversion
- Sample Rate : 96.0 kHz, 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz
Signal Processing: 24 bits
- Frequency Response
- -2 dB / +0 dB (@ +4 dBu, 10 Hz to 40 kHz, Sample Rate : 96 kHz, typ.)
- Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise
- 0.007 % (Pad: Off, Input Gain: -10 dBu, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, typ.)
- Dynamic Range
- INPUT jacks (1 to 24): 110 dB (typ.)
- Channel Separation @ 1kHz
- INPUT jacks (1 to 24): 103 dB (Input Gain: +4 dBu, IHF-A, typ.)
OUTPUT jacks (1 to 16): 110dB (typ.)
- Nominal Input Level (Variable)
- -65 to -10 dBu (PAD: Off)
-45 to +10 dBu (PAD: On)
- Non Clip Maximum Input level
- INPUT jacks (1 to 24): +28dBu (1 kHz, 10 k ohms load, typ.)
- Input Impedance
- INPUT jacks (1 to 24): 7 k ohms
- Nominal Output Level
- OUTPUT jacks (1 to 16): +4 dBu (Load impedance: 10 k ohms, typ.)
- Maximam Output Level
- OUTPUT jacks (1 to 16): +22 dBu (Load impedance: 10 k ohms, typ.)
- Output Impedance
- OUTPUT jacks (1 to 16): 600 ohms (typ.)
- Recommended Load Impedance
- OUTPUT jacks (1 to 16): 10 k ohms or greater
- Residual Noise Level (IHF-A, typ.)
- OUTPUT jacks (1 to 16): -84 dBu
- Equivalent Input Noise Level (E.I.N.)
- INPUT jacks (1 to 24): -128 dB (Input Gain: -65 dBu, IHF-A, typ.)
- Network Latency
- 375 microseconds when using REAC cable only
(AD to REAC to DA Latency: about 1.2 ms) *1
- INPUT jacks (1 to 24): XLR type, balanced, phantom power
OUTPUT jacks (1 to 16): XLR type, balanced
AES/EBU connector: DB-25 type
REAC port: RJ-45 EtherCon type
WORD CLOCK connector: BNC type
REMOTE connector: DB-9 type
COMPUTER port: USB type B
* XLR type: 1 GND, 2 HOT, 3: COLD
* phantom power: DC+ 48V (unloaded maximum), 14mA (maximum load) (All XLR type inputs)
- Power Consumption
- 62 W
- Operation Temperature
- +0 to +40 degrees Celsius
+32 to +104 degrees Fahrenheit
- Power cord, Owner's manual, Rubber foot x 4
- Size and Weight
- 482 mm
- 348 mm
- 177 mm
- 9.7 kg
21 lbs. 7 oz.
- * 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms *When a REAC Splitter S-4000D or a switching hub is used in-line with REAC cables, the network latency will increase by the amount of processing delay introduced by the splitting device itself. The actual delay is dependant upon the specifications of the splitting device, though the maximum delay amount for a single splitting device should be about 200 microseconds.
- S-4000 Remote Control Software Mac v2.4
- S-4000 Remote Control Software Windows v2.4
- S-2416 INF File Installer for Win 8, 7, Vista and XP
- Only needed for the S-4000 RCS software if you want to connect your Windows machine to the S-2416 via USB. MacOS X does not need this.
- S-2416 Firmware Update v1.004
- Requires a Windows PC to perform the update.
- S-2416 Images